As soon as you walk into Serotonin Eatery on Madden Grove in Burnley, you know you’re in for a treat! From the gorgeous Japanese style booths to the swing sets (if you are feeling a little more fun), this is the perfect sanctuary to escape your fast paced life – a place to sit, breathe, eat delicious plant-based meals and enjoy the soothing surroundings.
We met with founder – a smiley Emily in the first weeks of opening the café, which also has a gym attached to it. The idea behind her café was to create a holistic approach to happiness by combining healthy eating, exercise and education to give the body, mind and our planet the care it needs to function at its best. We loved everything about her idea and chatted to Emily to find out more!
1. What’s the best advice you have ever received?
“Fail fast.” Which means dive in head first! An entrepreneur jumps off a cliff and builds their plane on the way down” Go for it, you’ve never got anything to lose!
2. 6 things that make you smile?
- That when Melbourne has a rainbow all my friends send me photos incase I missed it
- Sun flowers
3. I love to cook…
nothing. i love to eat fruit- it’s the ultimate fast food!
4. A proud moment in my life was when…
my friends came into Serotonin on the first day and saw my vision that i had been working on for 5 years come to life!
5. Favorite thing to do on a Sunday?
Get up at 8am, fresh as a daisy, exercise, probably yoga
6. Best meal you’ve ever had…
Oh wow. My relationship with food is incredible, that’s like asking to name your favourite child.
Serotonin’s menu is a smogas board of all my favourite meals i’ve ever had, but now sugar, salt and guilt free!
7. Favorite subject in school?
Earth and Environmental studies
8. I can’t stop listening to…
9. Saturday night out or Saturday night in?
10. Success means…
11. 2 things that make me cry…
Onions & Happiness
12. What is normal?
Up’s and downs
13. Vegemite makes me want to?
14. I can’t live without…
15. Seinfeld or Friends?
Life without a tv is a life of productivity
16. Where do you go to relax?
17. If you were a vegetable you would be a…
A MEDIUM BANANA
18. Who do you want to be when you grow up?
A wiser, compassionate Emily
19. I’ll have a one-way ticket to…
20. What did you eat last night?
21. Last movie you watched…
22. Favorite market place is…
23. Don’t mess with me when…
24. 6 things I love about Melbourne
Oh wow where do I start!!!
If you look at **buzz feeds “why Melbourne is the most photographable city in the world” you will see that 3 of the photographs are mine, including the #1
1. I love that the bush and beach are a lovely and quick drive away!
2. I love that we have most multicultural food in the world!
3. I love that Melbourne is so flat and straight so it’s easy to get around on a bike
4. I love that we see every season in it’s entirety and get to dress for weather from 4’ – 40’
5. I love the suburbs with plain tree lined streets
6. I love the endless entrepreneurial ideas
25. I just learnt…
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time at all.
26. One word to describe you?
SMILEY (it’s actually like EMILYS spelt differently)
Read more at: